Sunday 14 October 2012

Bargello - first row

With no sewing group for two weeks I didn't touch my bag at all, only to iron the zipped pocket... I cracked on with my bargello blocks though and started to sew them into rows, two down, two to go. That is a rather easy sentence to write, but it felt like a lifetime to do.... The blocks when completed needed to be 13.5" squared, so you can imagine the sounds coming from the sewing room when they measured 14" one side and only 13.2" on the other. Sheesh... this meant cutting down one side, equally, to 13.5, then unpicking one of the rows and adding on another that was just a tad wider. What a lot of fiddling about and getting it right. If they weren't right they wouldn't line up. And all this because either I, (a) didn't sew exactly 1/4" at all times or (b) didn't cut my strips exactly to size. So, if you're about to start a bargello, being accurate is the key! Will I ever do another one, yes, but not this big...

First row completed

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I admire your patience! This is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete