Monday 9 January 2017

The backing of the bargello

I had completed the front of my bargello quilt sometime ago (2014), but only got round to the backing last year because originally I thought I would do more bargello patterns for the backing, but I gave up on that idea once I realised how much more time I would need to put into this already very delayed quilt.  In the end I did a quickie and used up the very beautiful leftover fabrics that incorporated the front, all 13 of them. I really had no idea how to design the backing. My imagination is very lacking in that department. It ended up very plain, but in my head I was just saying, "get it done". I initially only added the stripes, but felt the centre of the fabric needed an extra bit of punch so I added three love hearts with the fabric cut on the angle. Trying to convey two hearts coming together as one - my Mum and Step-Dad.

The right side decided on and sewn
More planning
Backwards way of putting my backing together
Completed before hearts added
The three hearts added
So pleased I added the hearts because that gap was way too plain
Two smalls hearts become one

1 comment:

  1. You are on a roll Nicki! Even more sewing.

    The hearts really add a little something to your pieced backing. I've never done a bargello - seems much too complicated to me.

    ReplyDelete