Sunday 5 October 2014

Bunting quilt by Deborah OHare

This latest project was a birthday gift for a friend which I did on the spur of the moment with only three weeks to get it done, nothing like a bit of pressure. Added pressure when I found out it was a foundation pieced quilt, something I have never done and am ashamed to say never did the paper piecing as required, went a bit freelance.

Stitch fabrics
I selected all the fabrics in a lunch break at Stitch, Colombo Street, so bit of rush, but they had all I required - black, purple and electric blue (as requested by my bestie!).

Mock up of block

Because I wasn't going to follow the exact foundation piecing that the quilt instructed (I didn't have the time to learn the techniques, next time perhaps) I decided to sew up a mock block for starters to make sure I was heading in the right direction, luckily I was. 

Block bits are ready for sewing
The cutting up took forever. I managed to get flat feet in the process! Cutting up is my least favourite thing to do, but with these blocks the pieces had to be exactly right cos otherwise I knew they wouldn't line up.

Bit by bit getting their wings

Slowly but surely the pieces came together

What a marathon...

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Looking good so far. I'll be interested to see how the finished quilt looks. All your chosen colours will look great together.
    I'm making a (small) string of bunting with stitcheries for a Christmas gift swapped amongst my small house group buddies - must get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't too sure if the quilt might be too challenging with the words, foundation piecing, but am keen to make another one in the shades of green.

    ReplyDelete