Thursday 2 October 2014

I Spy quilt

My first and most likely last I Spy quilt began in August and is almost finished, well the top at least. I started with cutting out the hexagons and triangles with scissors (shopping list: smaller rotor cuter!).


Next came placement, putting this with that, and that with this. The lime green triangles really made the quilt zing! Probably not for everybody's taste, but I have always loved the colour green.


These cloths for placing your fabrics are excellent eh! I have mine pinned in the hallway, not the most ideal place, but one wall that was under utilised!

These funny half triangles had to go at the top and bottom and get chopped to shape the quilt into a rectangle. This is where following the pattern comes in handy...


The majority of my novelty fabrics were brought when I was building my stash. They looked pretty at the time, but I had no idea what the dang I was going to use them for. Luckily this pattern came along!

This pic show how I was planning my blocks....
it took forever before they all fell into place.
At last I planned how all my blocks would go. I selected each row at a time, walking back and forth to my sewing room before placing them back on the wall, just in case I got the configuration all wrong. Luckily they were all sewed up OK.


2 comments:

  1. Looking good Nicki. I've never made one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stuck on the four corners. Trying to make smaller sized hexagons, but can't get the measurements right! No doubt my brain will work it out.

      Delete